What We Do
Weddings, Civil Ceremonies & Partnerships
Begin your “happily ever after” in your own bespoke style at The Oak Barn, Frame Farm - be it a lavish banquet or relaxed rustic wedding, our exclusive use farm, featuring two spectacularly restored barns and a weaving house, is the perfect venue for Your Wedding.
The awe-inspiring Oak Barn has a magnificent high vaulted roof, glass frontage overlooking the courtyard, hidden state of the art technology, underfloor heating and a cosy wood burning stove; every modern convenience in a breathtaking old threshing barn yet with an intimate feel.
With classic elegance and tranquil views, The Byre offers a graceful space perfectly suited for ceremonies or more intimate receptions, or it can be transformed into an entertainment room for the children. The romantic terrace, waterfall and lily pond are a wildlife haven and perfect for a celebratory toast or photographs.
And at the end of your wonderful day, curl up and enjoy a celebratory glass of bubbles in our sumptuous Wedding Cottage. With views across the surrounding sheep pasture you will love the magic of this romantic rural setting whatever the season. Combined with a warm welcome and personal service we are confident that your wedding will exceed all expectations.
Please contact Tim or Deana for further details or to arrange a viewing.
Ceremony or Wedding
Q. Where can we hold our civil ceremony or partnership?
A. Both The Oak Barn and The Byre are licensed by the Kent County Council so the choice is yours.
Q. What is the process for organising a civil ceremony or partnership at The Oak Barn?
A. Once you have booked your wedding with The Oak Barn we are then responsible for registering your request for a Civil Ceremony or Partnership with Kent County Council (KCC). They will then contact you regarding your Notices of Marriage as well as requesting a fee to cover the cost of producing and managing the ceremony, and the attendance of registration staff to celebrate and register your marriage.
Q. Can we have a civil ceremony and ask a celebrant or vicar to come to do a blessing?
A. Yes, but there needs to be a 30 minute gap between the civil ceremony finishing and the blessing beginning.
Q. Can we have our civil ceremony outside?
A. Yes, but you need to stand under the eaves of The Byre with your guests seated on the terrace. You are then under the licensed structure but you and your guests can enjoy the views across the sheep fields and pond. The laws may change soon to enable a marriage anywhere you choose on the farm. Blessings can be conducted wherever you wish.
Q. What happens if it rains on the day?
A. Depending on various factors such as decorations and the arrival time of your florist, a final decision will be made between Tim or Deana and the bride/groom or their nominated person two hours before the service is due to start. If you have a large installation with lots of decorations or flowers then a decision will be made before the florist arrives. Once the location is finalised we cannot change it even if the weather changes.
Q. How many guests can we invite for a civil ceremony or partnership?
A. The Oak Barn can seat about 150 with more standing. The Byre can seat about 100 guests inside and about 130 if you are seating your guest outside on the terrace.
Q. Can we have music during our civil ceremony or partnership?
A. Yes, we have an amazing sound system in The Oak Barn as well as in The Byre and on The Byre's terrace. Please ensure that you have nominated someone to be in charge of your music and that your playlist has been downloaded, just in case! Music should include at least three songs for the prelude, one song to walk down the aisle to, three songs for when signing the register and one song to walk out to. Please remember that you cannot have any reference to religion in the ceremony, so you cannot use hymns. You are also welcome to have live music during your ceremony and reception drinks.
Q. Is it possible to be married in St. George's Church in Benenden?
A. Revd David Commander is very happy to meet with you to find out if you have a Qualifying Connection to get married at St. George’s Church and talk through the whole process of getting married.
Q. Can we host an Hindu Fire Ceremony?
A. Yes, The Byre is perfect for a fire ceremony and if the weather is gorgeous then you may wish to host it outside on The Byre’s Terrace.
Q. What is the capacity of The Oak Barn?
A. We can seat 134 guests and host about 200 for the evening reception.
Q. What is the capacity of The Byre?
A. We can seat up to 50 guests and host about 100 for the evening reception.
Q. We are planning a small wedding, will the barn feel too big?
A. Depending on the size of your wedding we have the elegant The Byre with stunning view down the valley or, The Oak Barn is divided by historic walls which can ensure an intimate feel.
Q. What is included at your venue?
- Exclusive use of two stunning Grade II listed barns with a terrace and a courtyard set in a romantic country setting in Kent's Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Both barns are licensed for civil ceremonies, alcohol and music
- Fully equipped commercial kitchen (to be used by commercial caterers only)
- Ladies, gentlemen's and disabled toilets
- The option to host an intimate dinner for up to 50 guests in The Byre
- Seated dining for 134 people in The Oak Barn
- Stage for your band or DJ
- Seating and furniture for a civil ceremony or partnership in The Byre or on The Byre’s terrace
- Outdoor furniture, barstools and tables on the terrace outside The Byre
- The option to add a 9m x 9m marquee on the south side of The Oak Barn, if additional space is required
- The option to add a 9m x 6m marquee on The Byre’s terrace, if additional space is required
- The option to have a crèche or entertainment room for the children in The Byre
- Terrace with breath-taking views down the valley and across our wildlife pond, or secluded courtyard for your drinks reception
- A picturesque pond with a waterfall and pontoon for a peaceful stroll and photography
- Sculptured grass and perennial garden forming a wonderful backdrop for your photographs
- High tech mood lighting system in The Byre and The Oak Barn
- High tech PA and sound system with microphone in The Oak Barn
- High tech sound system in The Byre
- Wifi in The Byre and The Oak Barn
- Two wall mounted hurricane lamps with candles in The Byre
- Easel for your seating plan
- Under floor heating system in both barns
- Contemporary log burner in The Oak Barn with a basket of wood for a cosy evening
- Air cooling and heat extraction system in The Oak Barn for those hot balmy nights
- Onsite parking
- No corkage
- Vat included
Q. Do you have any packages?
A. We believe that every wedding should be as unique as each couple so therefore, we do not have our own caterers but we do have a list of local suppliers which can assist you will all your needs. I am pleased to say we do not charge corkage and because we offer a fully equipped kitchen it means your caterers will not need to hire in equipment.
Q. Do you have disabled access?
A. Yes, the barns, courtyard and parking areas have sloped access throughout. The Byre has an ambulant disabled toilet and The Oak Barn a fully equipped disabled toilet for wheelchair users. Our Wedding Cottage is also wheelchair accessible.
Q. Do you supply tables and chairs?
A. We will supply a table and chairs for your marriage or partnership ceremony, as well as benches for your guests. On The Byre’s terrace we have a sofa set as well as four bar tables and chairs, and we have 5 tables and chairs on Weaver’s Cottage’s terrace. Tables and chairs for your wedding breakfast need to be hired as there are so many different types for you to choose from and we are unable to stock them all.
Q. Do you have a microphone and PA system?
A. The Byre has wonderful acoustics so that you do not need a microphone or PA system. The Oak Barn has a PA system with a wireless microphone for your use.
Q. Do you have a bar?
A. We have a bar which Tim lovingly created from Oak from our felled tree. If you want a pay bar please ask your caterer, choose from one of our suppliers or feel free to source your own.
Q. Do you charge corkage?
A. We do not believe corkage is fair so we do not make this charge and we do not allow any suppliers to charge it either.
Q. Can our guests bring confetti?
A. We ask that they bring real flower confetti, such as dried rose petals, which are in keeping with our eco-friendly ethos, and for it to be thrown outside in the courtyard or on the terraces.
Q. Can we bring pets?
A. We are a working farm so we cannot allow pets to roam but we are happy to discuss them joining you for your ceremony or photos.
Q. What time can we party until?
A. We are licensed for music and alcohol until 11:00pm except for New Year's Eve when we are licensed until 1:00am, your guests then have half an hour to say their goodbyes.
Q. Do you have noise restrictions?
A. Yes, once the amplified music begins all doors do need to be closed. You and your guests are welcome to come and go but the doors will just swing shut behind them.
Q. Can we have fireworks?
A. No, we are a working farm, as are many of our neighbours, and fireworks will scare the animals.
Q. Can we have Chinese lanterns?
A. No, not only do we have our own fire safety issues but the debris impacts on locals and farmland. This is recommended by the Country Land Association.
Q. Can we decorate the barns?
A. Absolutely, but please run your ideas past us first to ensure they are within health and safety guidelines.
Q. Can we have candles?
A. We do not allow any naked flames but you are welcome to use LED candles.
Q. Can cars be left overnight?
A. Absolutely, non resident guests can leave their cars but we ask that they are collected by 10:30am the next morning.
Q. Do you have accommodation at the farm?
A. Yes, we can sleep up to 18 guests in our five luxurious Weaver's Cottages, which is across the courtyard from The Oak Barn. There is also an excellent selection of accommodation walking distance from the farm, and in the surrounding areas from airB&B to boutique hotels.
Q. What time is check in and check out?
- Day wedding - our check in is 12 noon and check out is 10am
- Weekend wedding - check in on Friday is 3pm and check out on Sunday is 12 noon
- If there is no event the day before your wedding then you are welcome to book the cottages for an extra night
Q. What is included in Weaver's Cottages?
- An elegant Wedding Cottage and four luxurious two bedroom cottages, which can accommodate up to 18 people in 9 bedrooms (7 double rooms and 2 twin rooms)
- 1 Weaver's Cottage has a king room and twin room
- 2 Weaver's Cottage has a double room and a twin room
- 3 and 4 Weaver's Cottages have a king room and double room
- 5 Weaver's Cottage is our sumptuous Wedding Cottage with a king four poster bed
- Open plan kitchen, dining and living space in each cottage
- Bathroom with walk in shower and bath in the Wedding Cottage
- Shower room in the two bedroom cottages
- Dressing tables with makeup light and mirror
- Smart TV with freeview
- Robes in the Wedding Cottage
- Towels and linen in all cottages
- Iron and ironing board
Viewings & Bookings
Q. When can we come and view the farm?
A. You are welcome to visit on weekdays with our last appointment at 6pm, or on weekends, but only by appointment as we may have wedding or event. Please contact either Tim or Deana.
Q. How long will you hold a date for us?
A. We are happy to hold a date for you for a couple of weeks whilst you speak to our caterers, and we will always give you first refusal.
Q. What is the payment process?
- £1,000 non-refundable booking fee is required at the time of booking to reserve your wedding date. The booking fee is to cover irrecoverable costs including but not limited to, reserving the date in our diary, correspondence, meetings where applicable and administration charges in preparation of your contract. This is held for a 7 day cooling off period and to allow for the preparation and signing of the contract
- 25% due - 1 month from booking
- 25% due - 1 year before your wedding date
- Final balance due 3 months before your wedding date
- A week before your wedding we will require a security deposit
Q. What happens after we have booked The Oak Barn?
- You are invited to return for a relaxed visit to remind yourself of the farm and the options for your Wedding day/weekend
- You are welcome to return as many times as you need, with or without suppliers, in order to plan your perfect day/weekend
- About a month before your Wedding we have a pre-wedding meeting at the farm to finalise all the details with you to ensure that your Wedding is perfect
Q. Why do I need Public Liability Insurance?
A. It is important that you have Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £5 million to protect you if one of your guests cause personal injury to a third party or damage to their property or to the venue. We have our own Public Liability Insurance but this does not cover you and your guests.
Set up & Supplier Access
Q. What time do we have access to the barns for set up and decoration?
- Day wedding - you and your suppliers have access from 8am on the day of your wedding
- Weekend wedding – you and your suppliers have access from 12 noon on Friday
Q. Will our suppliers be able to deliver and collect before and after our wedding?
- We have a secure storage space which your suppliers can use and items can be delivered 2 days before you wedding or stored after your wedding
- If there is an event the day after your wedding then everything needs to be moved into our storage by midnight, but if there is no wedding then the barns can be cleared before 10am the next day